Daughters of Penelope #229
The objectives of the Daughters of Penelope are to promote Hellenism, Education, Philanthropy, Civic Responsibility, and Family & Individual Excellence. The Daughters of Penelope encourages and promotes loyalty to the country in which they live; cultivates the ideals and traditions of Hellenism; promotes opportunities of education; and promotes the spirit of cooperation and works closely and in harmony with the whole AHEPA Family – AHEPA, Daughters of Penelope, Maids of Athena and Sons of Pericles. The Daughters of Penelope is non-partisan and non-denominational.
Today, the Daughters of Penelope is a leader in philanthropic, educational and cultural activities with local chapters in the United States, Canada, Greece and Cyprus. The Daughters of Penelope is a National organization with Chapters in the United States, Canada, Greece, Cyprus, Europe and Australia. Tethys 229 of New Brunswick is our local Chapter founded in 1950.
Members of the organization are encouraged to participate in projects on local, district and national levels for the betterment of mankind.
For information on membership, email our chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact one of our officers.
Officers 2019 – 2020
Viveca Sulich – President
Irene Frangos – Vice President
Lemonia Malahias-Miko – Recording Secretary
Vasso Mitchels – Corresponding Secretary
Katina Kehayas – Treasurer
Maria-Regina Caputo – Membership
- Penelope House Family Violence Center – www.penelopehouse.org – the first shelter for battered women and children in Alabama.
- Penelope’s Place Family Violence Center – a collaboration between the Daughters of Penelope and Health Imperatives (http://healthimperatives.org/), is a 24/7 emergency residence in the City of Brockton, MA, for women and children fleeing domestic violence.
- Limbitless Solutions – http://limbitless-solutions.org/index.php/en/ – a nonprofit organization devoted to bringing volunteers and technology to the kids who need it most.
- Daughters of Penelope Foundation, Inc. – www.dopfoundationinc.com – The Daughters of Penelope Foundation, Inc., was established in 1983 to promote educational, cultural, scholarship and civic programs; to foster research in art, education, science and public affairs, to promote social, ethical, philanthropic, cultural, educational and intellectual interests of the members of the Daughters of Penelope and to preserve and promote the ideals and traditions of Hellenism.
- Penelopean Day Care Center in Athens, Greece – Located in Nea Ionia in Greece, the center is a Nursing and Day Care Center for Children eight months to preschool aged children of underprivileged families with low or no income.
- The Sjogren’s Syndrome Foundation – http://www.sjogrens.org/index.php – a chronic autoimmune disease in which a person’s white blood cells attack their moisture-producing glands.
- Family Reach – (www.familyreach.org) – The Financial Treatment Initiative for Cancer patients and Caregivers. Equips families to deal with financial health.
- Fifth District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation – (www.fifthdistrictahepa-crf.org) – Awards grants to scientists and medical research institutions. To date over $1 million has been awarded.
- Fifth District Education Foundation – Provides scholarships to high school graduates and college students.
- Biennial Salute to Women
- St. George Greek Orthodox Church – Festival, Parade float, church dance, Youth, etc.
- St. George Ladies Philoptochos Needy Cases Fund
- Scholarship to High School Graduates – New Brunswick and Piscataway
- St. Basil’s Academy
- Hellenic Dancers of NJ
- Founder’s Scholarship
Join us for our ANNUAL COMEDY NIGHT on September 28th, 2019